What we do
Our group, the French Interdisciplinary Group, or FIG, was created in 1996. We contribute to globalization at Northwestern by promoting long-term intellectual exchanges and collaborations among Northwestern faculty, graduate students and undergraduates in all fields, and their counterparts at our partner institutions for higher education. We have helped a variety of scholarly communities at Northwestern find institutional partnerships in France.
Our central objectives are:
- To advance shared intellectual agendas between researchers on both sides of the Atlantic.
- To expose US students to methods unfamiliar to the American academy.
- To promote international collaboration in the social sciences and the humanities, which is traditionally less developed than in the hard sciences.
Our partner universities
We currently support partnerships with five of France’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. Each partnership emphasizes disciplinary orientations that reflect strengths at both institutions.
- Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po)
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENS de Lyon)
- École Normale Supérieure (ENS Paris)
- Sorbonne Nouvelle University
- École des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS)
- Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies Geneva
FIG sponsors or co-sponsors numerous events throughout the year. Events organized specifically with our French partners are listed here.
The FIG Room
Evanston, IL 60208Faculty and students are invited to take advantage of the FIG room for relevant meetings and events. Contact
Join our mailing list
If you'd like to stay updated about our events, news and fellowship opportunities, please join our mailing list.
To subscribe to our mailing list, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a blank subject line and the following plain text message in the body of the email (make sure to remove any email signatures or formatting): SUBSCRIBE FIG YourFirstName YourLastName